Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Third Month's Insanity

March is easily the best month of the year for one reason, the basketball.  March Madness becomes the center of everyone's focus, at least in my house.  At school, people carry around laptops streaming live video footage so that they don't miss a minute.  There's even a "Boss" button for people who are watching at work so that if their boss appears, they push the button and a spreadsheet pops up onto the screen so it looks like the person is doing work.


March Madness provides a great time for people to bond over a sport that is so fun to watch.  I would argue against anybody that it is more fun to watch than football, even the Super Bowl.  And in my opinion, a majority of the college basketball players are better athletes than NFL players.  True, a basketball game is 40 minutes, and a football game 60 is minutes, but it has been proven that of those 60 minutes in a football game, the players actually only play for 11 minutes on average. In college basketball, the players play for all 40 minutes.  I'm not going to argue that the NCAA tournament is more "American" but I enjoy it more than the NFL playoffs.


Filling out a bracket is one of the best parts of the Madness.  Mine has been exceptionally terrible this year, but I've decided that it doesn't matter.  In the end the best team will win, and we all know that that team is Duke.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I think that it is great to have whole groups of students united under a common interest, but doesn't March madness alienate those who don't know anything about sports? And what about the arguements that ensue about who's going to win? While I put Duke on my bracket for winner, I'm sure that a ton of other people put upsets and 1 seeds as their picks. Is it really beneficial to us all by arguing over such trivial details as a team's success in a sport?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I do agree that sports can be seen as trivial, they are as a hobby just like watching movies or painting. Technically people could make bets on the Oscars on who's going to win in a certain category. I wouldn't say students who do not know anything about sports are alienated from it. They just choose not to participate. I think March Madness takes people away from the "madness" of their lives and focus on something else than work or school. It's entertainment after all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think David and Jackie both bring up great points. I am also I huge basketball fan. Especially college basketball because you never know what will happen. For example this year Butler who was seeded 8 made it all the way to the finals. I love the idea that anything can happen which thinking about it now relates to the "American Dream". The saying that anything can happen if you work hard. This year there were many upsets and am proud to say that my bracket won the pool I was in. I was pretty proud of that because this is my first year I have won. It definitely is the highlight of March. No matter who wins it is always an exciting process.

    ReplyDelete