Thursday, March 24, 2011

Junior Theme Part 2

As I began to do research, I realized that focusing just on the topics presented in Richistan will not be enough.  I started trying to broaden my search, and I have decided to go with the idea of focusing on the middle class and how it is disappearing.  I think that Richistan will present a good side of the story in the sense that it might show how some of the middle class is moving up.  But I need to focus on finding the other side, the part of the middle class that is sliding into poverty.  If anybody has any ideas for where to find stuff, I will gladly take the advice.  CQ Rearcher already gave me a great article.

Mr. Bolos gave me a GREAT YouTube video about the decrease in the size of the middle class. You can find it by going to YouTube and typing into the search box "Elizabeth Warren 'The Coming Collapse of the Middle Class'" or it is linked here.  I should warn you that it's an hour long and I watched the entire thing, but the information that I needed most was found in the last 5 minutes of the video.  But for anybody who is focusing on something like consumerism over the past few years, it presents an excellent series of facts concerning 1973's spending versus 2003's spending. Hopefully that helps!

Also, as I continue reading my book, I love finding connections in between sources and between my classes as well.  For example, the video by Elizabeth Warren voices many opinions that I have found in my CQ Researcher article.  Warren also references the financial expert Robert Frank, and he is the author of the book that I'm reading.  Plus, in Frank's book, he references the movie Wall Street which I just watched in my Financial Management class.  It's pretty cool getting to see the overlap that develops.

1 comment:

  1. Smart pivot, Carolyn. The seedy voyeurism of snooping on the super-rich is way less important the the disappearing middle class.

    ReplyDelete