Sunday, January 9, 2011

Money Doesn't Grow on Trees

      This doesn't really have anything to do with what we talked about in class, but it definitely has to do with the United States.  The other day my mom showed me an article from the Chicago Tribune about the national debt.  (I would link it but I couldn't find it anywhere... It's titled "The U.S. Debt: Zero In On This" in case anybody wants to look) The nation has a debt limit, which is $14.294 trillion.  That is a LOT of money.  On June 1, 2010, the U.S. was $13 trillion in debt and as of December 31, 2010, the U.S. was $14 trillion in debt.  That's $1 trillion in 7 months. $1,000,000,000,000. The Tribune did the math and that comes out to $54,084 per second that the U.S. loses.
     From what I've learned the government, specifically Obama and the Democrats are pushing for the limit to be increased, while Republicans are doing their best to keep it.  I'm not really sure where I stand on the issue, and I definitely don't know enough to pass a judgement.  What I do know is that $14.294 trillion is a LOT of money... It seems ridiculous to keep a government functioning at this rate if we lose money at the rate we are losing it.  What happens to the U.S. credibility and accountability in the world? When do people start to realize that the U.S. isn't the best investment, that maybe a place like China is?  Money doesn't grow on trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment