Sunday, October 17, 2010

"Green Eggs & Ham"?

As I was checking my e-mail today, one of the news stories that appeared was that a Florida company is introducing "red celery."  My immediate reaction was that it's disgusting.  I can't imagine eating ants on a red log, (that's celery with peanut butter and raisins for those who were deprived of this tasty childhood snack) or seeing red celery in my tuna fish salad at lunch.  The red celery is supposed to hit supermarkets in early December, in order to have a holiday appeal, which I don't completely understand, because green is already a holiday color.  Then again, neither red nor green is festive for any winter holiday other than Christmas.

The idea of red celery brought to mind a favorite Dr. Seuss book from when I was younger, Green Eggs & Ham.  In the book, the character Sam is trying to get a friend to taste the green eggs and ham.  The friend claims to not like them, and he won't try them "here, or there, or anywhere."  His mind was made up even before giving the food a chance.  But at the end of the book, he ultimately ends up trying the green eggs and ham, because Sam wears him down enough to the point of exasperation.  And, to the surprise of the friend, but not to Sam, he likes green eggs and ham!

All of the colors made me think of American Studies, and how we specifically looked at the difference between black, white, brown, red, and yellow, and how each of them seem to correspond to a different race.  It ties in perfectly with our study of Frederick Douglass and slavery, and how just because the slaves were a different race, they were forced into slavery.  And they were a different race, because their skin was a different color.  It's that same idea of not liking a food that isn't its "normal" color.  The white people thought that white was "the norm" and anything different was inferior.  Just like I immediately thought that red celery would be way worse than green celery, despite the fact that the article said that red celery tastes the same and has the same "crunch" as green celery.

It's all in your head.  Green Eggs & Ham is proof that just because something is a different color, doesn't mean it's any different.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This was a really insightful analysis of everyone's favorite childhood book, I would have never thought of it like that! I think it's also important to keep in mind that Dr. Seuss wasn't just making a statement about the connotations and people's reaction to color, but of the overall judgemental human nature. He is basically being creative with instilling the infamous quote upon our youth-Don't judge a book by it's cover. This entails everything-from people, places, and even "green eggs and ham"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This was a really insightful analysis of everyone's favorite childhood book, I would have never thought of it like that! I think it's also important to keep in mind that Dr. Seuss wasn't just making a statement about the connotations and people's reaction to color, but of the overall judgemental human nature. He is basically being creative with instilling the infamous quote upon our youth-Don't judge a book by it's cover. This entails everything-from people, places, and even "green eggs and ham"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Valeries "Wow!" I just wanted to let you know that I am actually amazed at how you were able to connect a seemingly silly article to so many important topics from class. I too, would not be thrilled to have red celery. My immediate reaction to it would be to avoid it at all costs.This is sadly an instinctual and judgemental reaction. I think this reaction also occurs with many things out of the ordinary or of a different color. But I admit that if my mom began to make my tuna sandwiches with red celery I would just eat it.I can only hope that others will accept everything of a different color as a part of nature, just as red celery may be a part of my tuna sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part of growth is learning to transcend our human tendencies to discriminate.

    I'll admit this was a strange, but innovative connection between two works and class content!

    Might link to some other sources about human tendencies to discriminate to give this post a little more heft.

    ReplyDelete